"Babe" the Big Blue Bronco

Moderator: Officers

"Babe" the Big Blue Bronco

Postby jnbart » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:33 am

I was lucky enough to have Bryce show my this Bronco back in September (2016), and instantly I was hooked. I didn't have the money or a place to put it, but as far as I was concerned (or at least in my head) it was already mine. Fast forward to early April (2017), and I was able to buy it.

Image20170409_164008 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

So here are the details:

1968 Early Bronco (or at least the body is, I have reason to believe it is on a 1969+ frame)
It is a "Utility wagon", or a full hardtop with the half cab/bed divider.

302 (or 289, no way to tell without taking it apart)
NP435 transmission
Dana 20 transfer case (with PTO unit)

Narrowed Dana 60 in the rear (open, will be welded)
Dana 44 in the front with 3/4 ton knuckles and a GM disc brake conversion, I believe it has some type of upgraded axle shafts as well. (currently open or limited slip, don't need to push my luck on the 44)
Rear PTO winch (welded into the frame)
Because of the winch placement, gas tank is mounted in the back.

Full roll cage that already has some "real world experience" (I heard that this is what everyone is college is looking for)
F150 front coils (supposed to lift the front a little, but I doubt they do much with how old they are)
2" body lift

Front bumper has Household I beams that are welded to the frame, it isn't going anywhere.
Limb risers I am undecided on. I like the idea and the function of them, but as they are bolted to the top, I am going to have t get creative when I remove the top.

The rear fender wells are tubed, and if you couldn't tell, the fenders are ever so slightly cut.

Also got a set of 42" TSL's thrown in with it, not that they have much life left.

It hasn't been driven much in the last 7 years (so I am told), but runs really great given that the engine seems to have not been messed with much in the last almost 50 years.

Image20170409_175900 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170409_175947 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170409_180025 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170409_180200 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170409_180124 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Can't wait to start breaki... I mean building it.

(Pardon the format of these first few posts, I am trying to post my updates as I should have done 3 months ago.)
jnbart
Tricycle Jockey

Re: "Babe" the Big Blue Bronco

Postby jnbart » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:45 am

She looks a lot better up on some real tires. Got to learn how to use tire spoons and the proper use of starting fluid...or improper, Bryce needed a little bit of a haircut afterwards.

For reference, the 28-30 inch tires that were on when I bought it are roughly the size of stock.

Image20170411_161609 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170411_161147 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170411_173605 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170411_173633 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Note Tia's awesome sticker in the corner of the rear window.

Image20170411_182354 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

I believe this is where all the kids yell "stance nation" or some bullshit like that.
jnbart
Tricycle Jockey

Postby jnbart » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:03 am

First trip to Marquette was awesome, besides the Bronco only making it about 300 yards up the trail before we came to find out that there was all sorts of gunk in the gas tank that likes to clog the jets in the carb.

Image20170415_124337 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170415_152516 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

This picture wasn't for show, this is just where we pushed it, and it managed to be a good photo, lol.

Image20170415_153648 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170416_131627 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170416_132722 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

After seeing this, it was time for a new tank.

Luckily ED's had a Poly XJ tank that I got pretty cheap with a fuel pump. I wanted the XJ tank because it was 17 gallons (compared to the standard 12 that comes in the bronco) and is very square for a Poly tank (this is desirable because I am using it as a fuel cell).

I took apart the fuel pump and rigged it up so I am still using the resivior and fuel filter, even though I am not using the electric pump.

Image20170418_174914 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170418_175446 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170418_175601 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

The Float just so happens to work with the Bronco's gauge too, although I do not think the resistance values are the same.

I also ran new fuel line and had to buy a new mechanical fuel pump to get it running right.

During the week I went through and changed all the filters and fluids, most of which looked like a bad science experiment.
jnbart
Tricycle Jockey

Postby jnbart » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:27 am

The Bronco was finally able to get muddy under its own power.

Image20170428_160846 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170428_160859 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Fast forward to Alumni run,

Skanee:

Image20170429_175442 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

It was at this point I realized open open isn't going to cut it, and that manual brakes on 42's are just a hope and a dream. Picture doesn't look that bad, but fuel was pouring out the filler neck (after a few hours on the trail), and I was inside shaking like a dog.

Image20170429_175451 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Image20170429_202649[1] by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Looks a lot better with some "makeup" on her.

Wheelkate/Ravine:

Power steering pump started to go as soon as I pulled it off the trailer, Steering didn't go fully manual until right after dropping into Ravine. Going all the way through Ravine on aired down 42x15.5 tires with manual steering is an experience everyone should have at least once.

Image20170430_180741 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

"So Jacob, where does the name "Babe" come in?" Great, glad you asked.

The day I bought my Bronco, a friend of mine told me it needs a name, and said "what about Babe, like Babe the blue Ox". This refers to the folk tale of Paul Bunyan and his "Big Blue Ox" if you are unaware. I thought this name was stupid, and I didn't plan on naming it.

Well, that changed when we were in Ravine and my Bronco decided it was going to take out 3 trees on the way through. So now she is Babe, the Big Blue Bronco. Sorry for the screen shots, Flickr isn't cooperating.

Imagebronco by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

Imagebronco 2 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

If you haven't seen the video for this last picture, it is in the drive ( Wheeling > 2017 Alumni Run > 17/04/30 Wheelkate/Ravine ), and Dustin's commentary
is pretty great.
jnbart
Tricycle Jockey

Postby jnbart » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:38 am

All that has happend since Alumni run is a good cleaning (paint changed about 3 shades), I started paining over some of the surface rust on the tub/frame, and I bought some 37's for it off of Gary. the 37's are balanced, and ride great on the road.

Image20170508_204206 by Jacob Bart, on Flickr

I have some H1 rims that I need to get from Gary as well, and those will be re-centered and on the Bronco eventually.

I would like to change coolant, and brake fluid, weld the rear diff, and add a Tachometer before school starts (I am 400 miles away from home this summer, hence why nothing has happened). Rims, shocks, and Power steering pump are also on the list. Maybe a full exhaust...*Maybe*

Aside from that, my only other plans are looking for deals on more tires (already have 3 sets, but you can never have enough) and upgrading things that I break.
jnbart
Tricycle Jockey

Postby NISSAN » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:00 am

Nice truck. Just don't get carried away with doing a bunch of mods that aren't needed and prevent you from wheeling.