Body Armor for a stock Jeep

Moderator: Officers

Body Armor for a stock Jeep

Postby ctbrokaw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:52 pm

I went on the run last weekend up Cliff Drive in my stock Jeep, and hit pretty much everything under it at least once. Mostly just scrapes, but I did dent one rocker and the fuel tank skid plate.
So here's my question: how much armor would you suggest for an otherwise stock vehicle?
I know the smart-ass answer would be "armor whatever you want to keep" but really, what's the chance of me breaking a differential or steering box? I'm thinking of getting protection for the oil pan, rockers, and fuel tank, at least for now.
Any advice?
ctbrokaw
Tricycle Jockey

Postby xj_man_646 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:02 pm

rockers, fuel tank, tcase are a good start. oil pan...maybe. depends how rich you're feeling.
James

I love diesels.

Hubble on Ariel - "When you were 14 we got you hammered and Kansas wiener."
Jeremiah on chew - "Must ingest doofer."
Ahlborn on blumpkins - "I'll give you a blumpkin. Accoording to the bathroom wall in the DT, i give the best in the UP."

KD8MFP

Wheeler Secretary 2009-2010
xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby larboc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:33 pm

Lift to get that stuff outta harms way!
"A successful man is he who receives a great deal from his fellow men, usually incomparably more than corresponds to his service to them."—Albert Einstein
Greg on the taste of dick, "Like chicken"
2Tall on the internet, "OOOO, free Ipod!"
Jeremiah, on banana's, "If these were warm and soft, I could shove them right down my throat."
PJ on ? "Doesn't help that most shims from the axle we either toast 92 gone."
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby ctbrokaw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32 pm

Yeah, I was looking at 2" lifts and those skid plates that push the tcase up in between the frame rails, but from reading the instructions, it sounds like I'd be getting into all kinds of stuff I've never seen before, like body lifts, drive shaft angles, yoke eliminators, and some of the instructions flat out say to have a mechanic install them. Or is this just to scare away the people that don't know they can do it themselves? I can't imagine that I could screw it up too badly, but I'd rather not find out on my daily driver.
ctbrokaw
Tricycle Jockey

Postby larboc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:56 pm

don't lift your Jeep if it's a DD. buy a solid axle chevy, or an old ford pickup with ttb or solid axle for $300 and wheel it. Then spend the $$$ you'd spend on trying to build your DD to be reliable on the dedicated trail truck.

DON'T TRY TO DD YOUR JEEP WHEELING RIG!
Many people learn this lesson the hard way.

Jeeps simply arn't built strong enough to re use any stock parts and have them hold up reliably for daily use on the street as well as use off-road.

It may sound like I'm ragging on jeeps, but i'm just trying to save you alot of wasted work, money, and time.

If you are really interested in wheeling, and I hope you are, get a 2nd vehicle.
"A successful man is he who receives a great deal from his fellow men, usually incomparably more than corresponds to his service to them."—Albert Einstein
Jeremiah, on banana's, "If these were warm and soft, I could shove them right down my throat."
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby TBair » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 am

larboc wrote:don't lift your Jeep if it's a DD. buy a solid axle chevy, or an old ford pickup with ttb or solid axle for $300 and wheel it. Then spend the $$$ you'd spend on trying to build your DD to be reliable on the dedicated trail truck.

Jeeps simply arn't built strong enough to re use any stock parts and have them hold up reliably for daily use on the street as well as use off-road.

It may sound like I'm ragging on jeeps, but i'm just trying to save you alot of wasted work, money, and time.

If you are really interested in wheeling, and I hope you are, get a 2nd vehicle.

x2, theres also two rigs at the range house for sale right now too, a Chevy suburban for $1800, and a S10 for $4100.
Hi, My name is TBair and I am addicted to NASCAR.
TBair
"Chief 7 Bear"

Postby ctbrokaw » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:14 am

I don't have the time or room for a second vehicle, but if I'm going to get one, it will be my daily driver, not this 14mpg Jeep. And until that time comes, I'd like to do some mild upgrades, just enough so I won't get beat up on the "stock friendly" trails.

And it's still under warranty, too, so I don't want to stress it so much that something breaks and the dealership says "It's not faulty, you broke that offroading."

I don't want a dedicated trail rig at this time, is there a good compromise between road and trail?
ctbrokaw
Tricycle Jockey

Postby xj_man_646 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:00 am

TBair wrote:
larboc wrote:don't lift your Jeep if it's a DD. buy a solid axle chevy, or an old ford pickup with ttb or solid axle for $300 and wheel it. Then spend the $$$ you'd spend on trying to build your DD to be reliable on the dedicated trail truck.

x2, theres also two rigs at the range house for sale right now too, a Chevy suburban for $1800, and a S10 for $4100.
Matt just bought a CJ5 to build his dad. I think the burb is no longer for sale.
James

I love diesels.

Ahlborn on blumpkins - "I'll give you a blumpkin. Accoording to the bathroom wall in the DT, i give the best in the UP."

KD8MFP

xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby xj_man_646 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:05 am

ctbrokaw wrote:I don't have the time or room for a second vehicle, but if I'm going to get one, it will be my daily driver, not this 14mpg Jeep. And until that time comes, I'd like to do some mild upgrades, just enough so I won't get beat up on the "stock friendly" trails.

And it's still under warranty, too, so I don't want to stress it so much that something breaks and the dealership says "It's not faulty, you broke that offroading."

I don't want a dedicated trail rig at this time, is there a good compromise between road and trail?
A 2" lift and some 31" or 32" all terrains is a great baseline for a Jeep. A bit more lift to keep the important stuff more out of the way, and the ability for a bit more suspension travel. For a 2" lift, all you'd really NEED are coil spacers. The way I would do it (money permitting) would be to buy a kit that comes with longer shocks, coils, control arms, and longer sway bar end links. Not sure if the steering will need to be adjusted with a 2" lift, but you should not require a slip yoke eliminator either. Those mods are about as basic as it gets for Jeep owners starting the off-road hobby, and your warranty SHOULD be ok. I know of plenty of people with lifted vehicles under warranty. Yeah, the Jeep components are weaker than other fullsize vehicles....but they are also smaller so it comes hand in hand. 31-32 inch tires should not over-stress any of the Jeep components, especially in an all terrain tire. And as long as you don't wheel the Jeep too hard (ie. keep it to the "easy" trails and just ride along with someone on the nasty stuff) you should not encounter much malfunction at all.
James

I love diesels.

KD8MFP

xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby camoYJ94 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:58 am

just don't put a 383 in it, and you won't break anything, my last jeep had stock axles w/ a straight 6, 3" lift w/ 32s and the only reason i broke the spider gears in that was b/c i was conned into doing something that i def shouldn't have been doing. you'll be fine w/ a slight lift and bigger tires.
Silly boys, jeeps are for girls
camoYJ94
Easy DZ

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:54 pm

jeeps will be ok with 33s i would say as long as they are BFG mud terrains or some other kind of mud tire made for the road. With swampers you would have to be a little lighter on the throttle but still probably ok.
2013 F150 STX, 76 F350 Super Camper Special (Mild resto on going)
The rest have less wheels
Joe
aka "Hornicator"

Postby larboc » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:25 pm

xj_man_646 wrote:
ctbrokaw wrote:I don't have the time or room for a second vehicle, but if I'm going to get one, it will be my daily driver, not this 14mpg Jeep. And until that time comes, I'd like to do some mild upgrades, just enough so I won't get beat up on the "stock friendly" trails.

A 2" lift and some 31" or 32" all terrains is a great baseline for a Jeep. A bit more lift to keep the important stuff more out of the way, and the ability for a bit more suspension travel. For a 2" lift, all you'd really NEED are coil spacers. The way I would do it (money permitting) would be to buy a kit that comes with longer shocks, coils, control arms, and longer sway bar end links. Not sure if the steering will need to be adjusted with a 2" lift, but you should not require a slip yoke eliminator either. Those mods are about as basic as it gets for Jeep owners starting the off-road hobby, and your warranty SHOULD be ok. I know of plenty of people with lifted vehicles under warranty. Yeah, the Jeep components are weaker than other fullsize vehicles....but they are also smaller so it comes hand in hand. 31-32 inch tires should not over-stress any of the Jeep components, especially in an all terrain tire. And as long as you don't wheel the Jeep too hard (ie. keep it to the "easy" trails and just ride along with someone on the nasty stuff) you should not encounter much malfunction at all.

imho, even a 2" lift puts the joints and steering far enough from factory to see increased wear and/or death wobble.

Also, I've seen 32" bfg all-terrains and a dana 35 in a stock cherokee break an axleshaft, carrier, locker, and t-case all at once doing a hill climb.
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby hubbler » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:04 pm

There is nothing wrong with wheeling the DD. I wheeled my xj for 3 years. There was a kid named David that had the purple tj on 33" mud terrains and i never remember him having problems. He had a 4.5" RE lift i think and stock open axles. Made it most places he shouldnt have. General maintenance is a must and keep everything greased! Also buy lifetime parts for everything. I went through unit bearings every three months, shoes about every four months. Buy moog steering shit. it will hold up. The Dana 35 is your downfall unless you have the 44.
"He could have had any woman in the world, but none matched the beauty of his own right hand"
hubbler
Site Admin

Postby ToddACimer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:44 pm

larboc wrote:Also, I've seen 32" bfg all-terrains and a dana 35 in a stock cherokee break an axleshaft, carrier, locker, and t-case all at once doing a hill climb.

If you mean DBest's XJ it was 33's but that thing had many hard miles on it. It just sucks he broke a rear shaft, wrecked his rear locker, grenaded the tcase and screwed up the front diff too. All in a matter of 2 minutes
95 Bronco Eddie Bauer 2.5" RC Lift, 4.56's, Trac-Loc's and 33's
11 F-150 SuperCrew Leveled 33's
15 Expedition Ecoboost and car seats
16 Honda Pioneer 1000-5
ToddACimer
Jeep

Postby larboc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:27 am

i REALLY thought they were 32's. hmm,
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi