Front tow point

Moderator: Officers

Front tow point

Postby Pjizzle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:38 pm

The Cherokee needs one... anyone have any ideas? i was thinking bolt a plate to the unibody (with bumper on or off idk yet) and weld or bolt a tow hook... or cut a hole for a clevis :mrgreen:
2015 Ford Focus- Clown car dd
99 Superduty CCLB 7.3L Auto w/Sonnax valves and accumulator mods, 4" turbo back, 6637 air filter, gauges, and dp tuner. 80hp econo, 120hp race, 60 hp tow, and decel.
89 Black 2Dr Cherokee 38's, kustom suspension seats, wontons, welded/welded, front leaf spring conversion, waaaaahbaaaaah power
89 Yamaha XS1100

"It's not Rocket appliances..." Wise words from Lando Calrissian to Ricky Boo-Bee.
"So yesterday was useless for me, woke up face down on the floor covered in dog hair" Nick Nemethy
Nick freshman on himself "You can suck my pathetically small penis"
Sarge on Paul - "Presenting Pauly D, the king of Jank and Lazy"
Christin Riedel on Men- " 40 years of makin' ruts and pounding Butts"
Pjizzle
Destroyer of XJ's

Re: Front tow point

Postby xj_man_646 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:39 am

Here is what you need to do

http://www.liquidironindustries.com/pro ... 350&page=1

Get those or make your own. Bolt them to the unibody (uses 3 stock bumper + steering box bolt holes on the driver's side), and you can build a bumper off that and incorporate some tow points. I have a piece of 1.5x1.5 square tube welded between mine, with 2 1/4" plates on either side of the bumper brackets with hold drilled to accept a 3/4" shackle.
James

I love diesels.

Hubble on Ariel - "When you were 14 we got you hammered and Kansas wiener."
Jeremiah on chew - "Must ingest doofer."
Ahlborn on blumpkins - "I'll give you a blumpkin. Accoording to the bathroom wall in the DT, i give the best in the UP."

KD8MFP

Wheeler Secretary 2009-2010
xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby hubbler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Yesh do what pidgeon sez or you can get a piece of plate, weld like a chevy tow hook to it and make it so the plate will follow the contour along the bottom frame rail using the existing holes to bolt the plate on.
"He could have had any woman in the world, but none matched the beauty of his own right hand"
hubbler
Site Admin

Postby Pjizzle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 pm

I was going to plate the front end using pieces of steel on both sides of a rail and drill a couple holes with some solid spacers and then bolt those on... then i can add a tow point bumper winch and do some insane bumps of the front.
99 Superduty CCLB 7.3L Auto w/Sonnax valves and accumulator mods, 4" turbo back, 6637 air filter, gauges, and dp tuner. 80hp econo, 120hp race, 60 hp tow, and decel.
89 Black 2Dr Cherokee 38's, kustom suspension seats, wontons, welded/welded, front leaf spring conversion, waaaaahbaaaaah power
89 Yamaha XS1100

"It's not Rocket appliances..." Wise words from Lando Calrissian to Ricky Boo-Bee.
"So yesterday was useless for me, woke up face down on the floor covered in dog hair" Nick Nemethy
Pjizzle
Destroyer of XJ's

Postby hubbler » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:47 pm

I will explain this to you monday. So that way you do not make the noob mistake I did.
"He could have had any woman in the world, but none matched the beauty of his own right hand"
hubbler
Site Admin

Postby Motor Slut » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:49 am

Or you can buy my old front bumper for $150 with tow hooks and a 2" receiver. The receiver was added and the hoop is now gone since this picture was taken. This is a proven bumper that has pulled many things with the 12,000lb winch.
90 Legacy Wagon, 91 F350, 00 Forester, 98 XJ, 99 XJ, 00 XJ, 95 Ram 1500, 00 Silverado 1500, 03 Focus ZX3, 00 Suburban 1500
78 Kawasaki KE125, 90 XT600
74 Colt 250, 78 El tigre 6000, 79 Eltigre 6000, 81 El Tigre 6000, 88 Indy Sport 340, 90 Viking 540, 12 RMK Assault
Cub Cadet 123
15' Trophy Fishing Boat, 20' Pontoon
Motor Slut
Rock-Crawler

Postby xj_man_646 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:11 am

Pretty sure he doesn't have $150 to spend, but I suggest he does if he can find it.
James

I love diesels.

Ahlborn on blumpkins - "I'll give you a blumpkin. Accoording to the bathroom wall in the DT, i give the best in the UP."

KD8MFP

xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby Pjizzle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:00 am

Pidgeon, that bumper you made for the cherokee. Do you tihnk i could use that as a daily driver type bumper? i would be doing it slighty different. In stead of that 2x2 (what it looks like) i want to try something larger... Or anyone by that matter could that be legal to drive on the roads?
89 Yamaha XS1100

Pjizzle
Destroyer of XJ's

Postby hubbler » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:13 am

Yesh it would be perfectly fine as a dd type bumper.....
hubbler
Site Admin

Postby xj_man_646 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:08 am

the bumper I made probably wouldn't' cut it in an inspection at all. You should just buy Rob's bumper. No hassle, less time, already done, etc etc
James

I love diesels.

KD8MFP

xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby Pjizzle » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Since your home and most likely near your jeep... would you take pictures of your mounting brackets im kinda confused on how to mount them. I dont have bolts past the stock ones which just means i have to buy/find long enough one to slide through the unibody. Right? i havent been able to find any pictures.
89 Yamaha XS1100

Pjizzle
Destroyer of XJ's

Postby xj_man_646 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:49 pm

I am not home. I am up here. I can probably look at it for ya later this week, or even after I'm off work tomorrow. I can probably explain it to ya in 5 minutes.
James

I love diesels.

KD8MFP

xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby xj_man_646 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:50 pm

the driver's side mounts with the steering box bolts and the stock bumper bolts, from what I can see. The passenger side won't have said steering box brackets, but I'm sure you could drill holes through the unibody and bolt them on. Maybe weld some bolt sleeves in the unibody before bolting them on, but you get the idea.
James

I love diesels.

KD8MFP

xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby xj_man_646 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Oh yeah, when you take the steering box bolts out, pray to the Cherokee gods that you don't have issues with the aluminum spacer between the unibody and the steering box. The steel and Aluminum don't get along well and sometimes cause huge issues when you try to remove them.
James

I love diesels.

KD8MFP

xj_man_646
Captain Post Padder

Postby memphisrain » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:08 am

xj_man_646 wrote:Oh yeah, when you take the steering box bolts out, pray to the Cherokee gods that you don't have issues with the aluminum spacer between the unibody and the steering box. The steel and Aluminum don't get along well and sometimes cause huge issues when you try to remove them.

Bwhahaha....He totally got owned on this one....

Fuckin Jeeps....

Jake
Couldn't have said it better myself:

"Surrounded by hipsters. All they talk about is parent issues. " My father didn't understand me and we aren't close". Well no shit fruitcake you're a retarded homo version of a stupid hippy." - Some dude from pirate4x4
memphisrain
Web Wheeler Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Body