POR15

Moderator: Officers

Re: POR15

Postby larboc » Fri May 08, 2015 11:01 pm

That stuff works fantastic on anything. Can be rusty as hell or bare metal and it sticks. Check out my plow frame some time if you need proof. Brush it or spray gun it. Cheap, you can get it at most hardware stores and Walmart. More than regular paint but not by much.

Top coat it if you want it a different color.
"A successful man is he who receives a great deal from his fellow men, usually incomparably more than corresponds to his service to them."—Albert Einstein
Greg on the taste of dick, "Like chicken"
2Tall on the internet, "OOOO, free Ipod!"
Jeremiah, on banana's, "If these were warm and soft, I could shove them right down my throat."
PJ on ? "Doesn't help that most shims from the axle we either toast 92 gone."
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby Christoff » Mon May 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Do you think it is as good as Chassis Saver? It looks to be a fraction of the price.
KC0TRP
Public Relations Officer 07-08
Webmaster 05-07
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!"

85 F350, 460, C6, NP208, Kingpin D60, 10.25, 4.10's, 8' Western Plow
Christoff
Christoff's Kustoms

Postby larboc » Mon May 11, 2015 2:56 pm

I've never used/seen chassis saver so I can't compare it to that. What I can say is that when I built the lower plow frame for my black truck 5ish years ago I made it out of whatever thick piece of rusty of angle I could find at k-scrap or in the back yard.

I didn't feel like taking the rust off and painting properly so I wiped off the dirt and put some RMP in my spray gun and painted it. I could have brushed it instead but I felt like spraying. After it dried I did the same with some gloss black rustoleum to make it look better. A few coats of each. It's been on the truck since and aside from the spots where I've hit it with the plow while hooking it up or spots where it's hit rocks in the summer, the paint is still well intact and not flaking even around the areas where I mechanically removed it.

I've since been brushing it on my frames as undercoating and it sticks great. No prep needed, with a brush you kind of just work the dirt and rust into the mixture as you paint. Done.

IMHO it works fantastic and is cheap enough to slather on thick and on everything. DEFINITELY worth a try. A few years after I used it I googled it a little and it seems lots of other people are happy with it too.

In the past I have used rattle can undercoating on my s10. I wire brushed the frame and made sure it was clean, then sprayed everything underneath with it. It didn't stick at all, flaked off, trapped moisture, etc. and was shot in 2 years.
"A successful man is he who receives a great deal from his fellow men, usually incomparably more than corresponds to his service to them."—Albert Einstein
Jeremiah, on banana's, "If these were warm and soft, I could shove them right down my throat."
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby TylerC » Mon May 11, 2015 11:26 pm

I was looking into the cost of POR-15 more. A quart sells for $48 online and the local parts store could get a gallon for $155. $42 for a quart of chassis saver at the local Auto Value. Its not worth the money for my application.

I picked up a quart of rustoleum rusty metal primer for $7 at menards.
President 2014-2015
Treasurer 2015-2016

2016 Focus ST
Wheeler- '95 f150 Flairside, 351, ZF swap, 6'' lift, 35's - SOLD
TylerC
Geo Metro

Postby jahlborn » Tue May 12, 2015 7:57 am

If anyone does want to go in on a larger order of POR15, let me know.
Four Wheelers of Michigan Tech Public Relations 2011-2013

Officially Jeepless

Paul Dice on a toaster- "How much for the 4-place? I have the same one, but I might need one for parts."
jahlborn
Highschooler

Postby larboc » Tue May 12, 2015 8:44 am

TylerC wrote:I was looking into the cost of POR-15 more. A quart sells for $48 online and the local parts store could get a gallon for $155. $42 for a quart of chassis saver at the local Auto Value. Its not worth the money for my application.

I think you'll like it. From what I read on the internets, some people claim better success with it than POR15. I've seen reports of POR-15 peeling off but who knows how it was prepped.
As with any paint, oil and moisture on the surface is going to be the enemy.

Jenny still has some on her engagement ring from helping paint the s120 before our wedding. It's stuck to the gold still after several professional cleanings including ultrasonic cleaners. We were using it as a build up primer on the roof. Be careful where you get it.
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby Christoff » Tue May 12, 2015 11:45 am

larboc wrote:
TylerC wrote:I was looking into the cost of POR-15 more. A quart sells for $48 online and the local parts store could get a gallon for $155. $42 for a quart of chassis saver at the local Auto Value. Its not worth the money for my application.

I think you'll like it. From what I read on the internets, some people claim better success with it than POR15. I've seen reports of POR-15 peeling off but who knows how it was prepped.
As with any paint, oil and moisture on the surface is going to be the enemy.

Jenny still has some on her engagement ring from helping paint the s120 before our wedding. It's stuck to the gold still after several professional cleanings including ultrasonic cleaners. We were using it as a build up primer on the roof. Be careful where you get it.

Sounds like it pretty comparable to the Chassis Saver then. It is nice that Chasis Saver is already black but for that price you can buy a couple of rattle can of flat black. I used Chassis Saver to deal with rust before I 2 toned the blazer in bedliner and it worked well for that. I also took and all the exposed frame between the tires. I just painted on with no prep or cleaning and that was 2 years ago and it hasn't peeled off or let any rust come through again at all. The only downside of it was I got a bunch on the floor which I still can't get off to this day with anything I have tried and when I got it on me the only way I could get it off was to use a pumice stone or hard brush and take some of my skin with it. MAKE SURE TO USE GLOVES AND SUCH ANYTIME YOU USE IT, TRUST ME!!!!
KC0TRP
Webmaster 05-07
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, shouting HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Christoff
Christoff's Kustoms

Postby larboc » Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Yea, the color isn't the best. That's probably my only gripe about it. It also will fade in the sun, it's really meant as a primer to be painted over. I thought about mixing it with some black rustoleum, might not be worth the risk though since you can top coat the same way you applied the primer and it will work just fine.

And I think you hit a key point about priming before using bedliner. Bedliner or undercoating doesn't stick to an unprimed surface.
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby Christoff » Tue May 12, 2015 4:29 pm

larboc wrote:Yea, the color isn't the best. That's probably my only gripe about it. It also will fade in the sun, it's really meant as a primer to be painted over. I thought about mixing it with some black rustoleum, might not be worth the risk though since you can top coat the same way you applied the primer and it will work just fine.

And I think you hit a key point about priming before using bedliner. Bedliner or undercoating doesn't stick to an unprimed surface.

Correct with the bedliner. It'll stick to scuffed up paint but I haven't had any good luck getting it to stick to bare metal at all. Every time I have used it I was dealing with rust and bare metal so I put the Chassis Saver down first, let that tack up good and then rattle canned some Duplicolor bed liner over it. Thus far results have been really good doing it that way. The Duplicolor isn't the toughest stuff out there but considering it comes in a rattle can it is easy to touch up and fix every once and awhile. Where I have Chassis Saver primed first though I have yet to ever have to touch any of that up. It seems to be a really good combination together.
KC0TRP
Webmaster 05-07

Christoff
Christoff's Kustoms

Postby larboc » Tue May 12, 2015 4:39 pm

Interesting that you were able to topcoat while it was sticky. With RMP you have to make sure it has dried THOROUGHLY before going over it with bedliner. I went over it with rustoleum roll on bedliner before the RMP was dry and it started peeling up the RMP and making a mess. I cleaned it up and then let the RMP dry overnight the next time and had no problems. Once it dried it made for a nice combination on the floors of the s120 and is very hard now. For thick stuff like that I am becoming a fan of rolling it on. Easier to get it on much thicker and that seems to make it more durable. A 5 pack of small rollers is like $2 at walmart and I just pitch them when I'm done.
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
larboc
More Wheel Speed!

Postby Christoff » Tue May 12, 2015 5:01 pm

IIFC i let the chassis saver dry for an hour or so before I sprayed on the bed liner. It seems like it sort of imbedded itself somewhat in the chassis saver when I didn't that. It seems like it took it a few more days to fully harden when I did that but once it hardened it has been noticeably tougher than areas where just the bedliner was sprayed on.
KC0TRP
Webmaster 05-07

Christoff
Christoff's Kustoms

Previous

Return to Body