Press works

Equipment Manager Announcements on club tools.

Moderator: Officers

Press works

Postby bryce1437 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 am

Press works now, had to put a new gauge on it.
Bryce Richard

Secretary 2016
President 2016-2017

1974 Ford Bronco
1999 GMC Yukon
1984 GMC 3500 dually dump truck
1973 dodge 100
bryce1437
Unicycle Pilot
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:06 pm

Re: Press works

Postby Yooperyota » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:18 am

bryce1437 wrote:Press works now, had to put a new gauge on it.


Woohoo! I'm gonna refuse to do U-joints with a balljoint press ever again. :mrgreen:
"Is there a such thing as a comfortable jeep ride?" - Alan Alda (M*A*S*H)
"All you need is an angle grinder and a dream" - Bilbobaggenz
"Hip Hya" - Dirty Dan
"If a bigger hammer doesn't fix it, it's an electrical problem" - AvE
"I don't see what the big deal is about the LS. I had an LS Monte Carlo, it sucked!" - Alaska
User avatar
Yooperyota
Cub Cadet
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Hancock

Re: Press works

Postby theking380 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:34 am

Not a fan of doing ball joints in a shop press. Don't have a good feel for the caps binding or bottoming with that much force behind it. Much prefer
the ball joint press method, or if I wanna get them done quick I use the vice.
Ricky Bobby

88 F350, 4x4, 7.3 IDI, ZF5, 92+ front clip swap, Custom Flatbed
83 Bronco, 302, np435, D44, 9", 38's
02 Jetta TDI 5 speed

KD8TYN
"Creative and resourceful, eh, I don't know about that. Too much beer and not enough money if you ask me." --some guy on pirate.
theking380
Rock-Crawler
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Holland, MI

Re: Press works

Postby Yooperyota » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:49 am

theking380 wrote:Not a fan of doing ball joints in a shop press. Don't have a good feel for the caps binding or bottoming with that much force behind it. Much prefer
the ball joint press method, or if I wanna get them done quick I use the vice.


Maybe if your driveshaft yokes were made out of glorious nippon steel you wouldn't have to worry about it :pirate4x4:

But in all seriousness, I agree with you. I think an arbor press is probably my favorite for feel. I've broken two vises pressing u-joints though.
Last edited by Yooperyota on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Is there a such thing as a comfortable jeep ride?" - Alan Alda (M*A*S*H)
"All you need is an angle grinder and a dream" - Bilbobaggenz
"Hip Hya" - Dirty Dan
"If a bigger hammer doesn't fix it, it's an electrical problem" - AvE
"I don't see what the big deal is about the LS. I had an LS Monte Carlo, it sucked!" - Alaska
User avatar
Yooperyota
Cub Cadet
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Hancock

Re: Press works

Postby theking380 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 am

I do like arbor presses

You should probably stop using cheap ass vices :pirate4x4:
Ricky Bobby

88 F350, 4x4, 7.3 IDI, ZF5, 92+ front clip swap, Custom Flatbed
83 Bronco, 302, np435, D44, 9", 38's
02 Jetta TDI 5 speed

KD8TYN
"Creative and resourceful, eh, I don't know about that. Too much beer and not enough money if you ask me." --some guy on pirate.
theking380
Rock-Crawler
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Holland, MI

Re: Press works

Postby larboc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:31 am

theking380 wrote:I do like arbor presses

You should probably stop using cheap ass vices :pirate4x4:


Such as drinking, gambling, drugs, or whores?
"A successful man is he who receives a great deal from his fellow men, usually incomparably more than corresponds to his service to them."—Albert Einstein
Greg on the taste of dick, "Like chicken"
2Tall on the internet, "OOOO, free Ipod!"
Jeremiah, on banana's, "If these were warm and soft, I could shove them right down my throat."
PJ on ? "Doesn't help that most shims from the axle we either toast 92 gone."
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
User avatar
larboc
More Wheel Speed!
 
Posts: 4772
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Franklin twp.

Re: Press works

Postby Sanchez » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:38 am

larboc wrote:
theking380 wrote:I do like arbor presses

You should probably stop using cheap ass vices :pirate4x4:


Such as drinking, gambling, drugs, or whores?

I dont think any of those are cheap.
Stamp collecting on the other hand..........
Wheeler: The Honey Badger (Full Width Locked d44, Spooled Ford 9" @ 4.56, 37" MTR's on H1 beadlocks)
DD/Wheeler: 96 Ranger D35 at 4.10, LSD Disced 8.8, Mild Lift, 33x10.5's
2000 Dodge 24v CumminGs
User avatar
Sanchez
I'm a post Whore!
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Press works

Postby Pjizzle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Yooperyota wrote:
bryce1437 wrote:Press works now, had to put a new gauge on it.


Woohoo! I'm gonna refuse to do U-joints with a balljoint press ever again. :mrgreen:


I usually bribe someone else into doing u-joints for me. Beer is my usual method of bribing. Other wise a hammer and vise is what i go for, i have done it enough times were i no longer drop needle bearings frequently.

Sanchez wrote:
larboc wrote:
theking380 wrote:I do like arbor presses

You should probably stop using cheap ass vices :pirate4x4:


Such as drinking, gambling, drugs, or whores?

I dont think any of those are cheap.
Stamp collecting on the other hand..........


I wouldn't be so sure on the stamp collecting. I am unsure of the validity of any of this, but these are some insane prices for little square pieces of paper [http://www.findyourstampsvalue.com/rare.htm]
2015 Ford Focus- Clown car dd
99 Superduty CCLB 7.3L Auto w/Sonnax valves and accumulator mods, 4" turbo back, 6637 air filter, gauges, and dp tuner. 80hp econo, 120hp race, 60 hp tow, and decel.
89 Black 2Dr Cherokee 38's, kustom suspension seats, wontons, welded/welded, front leaf spring conversion, waaaaahbaaaaah power
89 Yamaha XS1100

"It's not Rocket appliances..." Wise words from Lando Calrissian to Ricky Boo-Bee.
"So yesterday was useless for me, woke up face down on the floor covered in dog hair" Nick Nemethy
Nick freshman on himself "You can suck my pathetically small penis"
Sarge on Paul - "Presenting Pauly D, the king of Jank and Lazy"
Christin Riedel on Men- " 40 years of makin' ruts and pounding Butts"
User avatar
Pjizzle
Destroyer of XJ's
 
Posts: 2243
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Ho-Town, MI/Monroe, MI

Re: Press works

Postby jcgrobbe » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Yooperyota wrote:
theking380 wrote:Not a fan of doing ball joints in a shop press. Don't have a good feel for the caps binding or bottoming with that much force behind it. Much prefer
the ball joint press method, or if I wanna get them done quick I use the vice.


Maybe if your driveshaft yokes were made out of glorious nippon steel you wouldn't have to worry about it :pirate4x4:

But in all seriousness, I agree with you. I think an arbor press is probably my favorite for feel. I've broken two vises pressing u-joints though.


A press is handy for getting rusty caps broke loose. Big fucking hammer and an impact socket is my preferred method for putting them in though, never had any issues.
Treasurer 2013-2014
VP 2014-2015
President 2015-2016

'06 Sierra - DD, rekeyed, 33" Duratracs, 5.3L HO, 4l60e.
'99 Sierra - 5.3L, SM465, 2006 Dana S60 front, extended radius arms, 6" lift coils, welded disk brake D70 rear, 4.56's, H1's, 44" Pitbull Rockers, PSC 2.75" Full Hydro


"Gawd I love big rubbers." - PJ on safe sex with black men.
"Life's too short to wait for extra strokes." Jake D on Detroit Diesels and making love
"If it's gay enough to make Matt puke, it's gay enough for craigslist." -AJJ on meeting new people
"So in response I kicked in a door and threw a water balloon at him while he was receiving a BJ." - Matt on foreplay
User avatar
jcgrobbe
Rock-Crawler
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:35 pm
Location: Macomb, MI/ Houghton, MI

Re: Press works

Postby theking380 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Best method for breaking rusty caps loose is resting the cross of the joint on the vise and hitting the yoke with a hammer.
Ricky Bobby

88 F350, 4x4, 7.3 IDI, ZF5, 92+ front clip swap, Custom Flatbed
83 Bronco, 302, np435, D44, 9", 38's
02 Jetta TDI 5 speed

KD8TYN
"Creative and resourceful, eh, I don't know about that. Too much beer and not enough money if you ask me." --some guy on pirate.
theking380
Rock-Crawler
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Holland, MI

Re: Press works

Postby Sanchez » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:00 pm

theking380 wrote:Best method for breaking rusty caps loose is resting the cross of the joint on the vise and hitting the yoke with a hammer.

Though that works, and works well 99% of the time, its really not great for the vise. Think about what you are asking the metal of the vise to do.

You are pinching the front jaw piece in the base, along with causing a fulcrum on the pivot base. I have also seen some vises broken because of this method (I think the vise at range around 2012?)

I really love loading up the ball joint press with around 100 ft lbs, and then tapping around the neck until it pops out, using heat if needed.
Wheeler: The Honey Badger (Full Width Locked d44, Spooled Ford 9" @ 4.56, 37" MTR's on H1 beadlocks)
DD/Wheeler: 96 Ranger D35 at 4.10, LSD Disced 8.8, Mild Lift, 33x10.5's
2000 Dodge 24v CumminGs
User avatar
Sanchez
I'm a post Whore!
 
Posts: 1036
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Press works

Postby Yooperyota » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Oh, you guys mean for removing u-joints? Screw removing u-joints. I cut those f*ckers out. Not worth my time to press them. Maybe it's easier with a different yoke, but the jap ones are at like a 10* angle on both sides, so the balljoint press or vise always wants to slide off of it. And Chevy has aluminum shafts, which is cancer. So easy to accidentally press the joint through the c-clip retainer on the other side trying to seat the joint fully.
"Is there a such thing as a comfortable jeep ride?" - Alan Alda (M*A*S*H)
"All you need is an angle grinder and a dream" - Bilbobaggenz
"Hip Hya" - Dirty Dan
"If a bigger hammer doesn't fix it, it's an electrical problem" - AvE
"I don't see what the big deal is about the LS. I had an LS Monte Carlo, it sucked!" - Alaska
User avatar
Yooperyota
Cub Cadet
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Hancock

Re: Press works

Postby larboc » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:37 am

Yooperyota wrote:Oh, you guys mean for removing u-joints? Screw removing u-joints. I cut those f*ckers out. Not worth my time to press them. Maybe it's easier with a different yoke, but the jap ones are at like a 10* angle on both sides, so the balljoint press or vise always wants to slide off of it. And Chevy has aluminum shafts, which is cancer. So easy to accidentally press the joint through the c-clip retainer on the other side trying to seat the joint fully.


You're doing it wrong. Get vice jaws open wide enough or use two blocks to rest the 90* out ears on and hit the yoke just behind the cap with a hammer.
I've replaced u-joints on the side of the road with 3 bricks and a pocket knife.
"A successful man is he who receives a great deal from his fellow men, usually incomparably more than corresponds to his service to them."—Albert Einstein
Greg on the taste of dick, "Like chicken"
2Tall on the internet, "OOOO, free Ipod!"
Jeremiah, on banana's, "If these were warm and soft, I could shove them right down my throat."
PJ on ? "Doesn't help that most shims from the axle we either toast 92 gone."
56 IH s120
63 IH scout 80
66 IH scout 800
73 Chevy 10 yard dump
74 IH scout II
80 IH scout II
84 K30 6.2
85 dodge colt
87 s10
88 honda accord
98 vw jetta tdi
99 Ranger
01 silverado 2500
12 silverado 1500
User avatar
larboc
More Wheel Speed!
 
Posts: 4772
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Franklin twp.

Re: Press works

Postby theking380 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 am

larboc wrote:
Yooperyota wrote:Oh, you guys mean for removing u-joints? Screw removing u-joints. I cut those f*ckers out. Not worth my time to press them. Maybe it's easier with a different yoke, but the jap ones are at like a 10* angle on both sides, so the balljoint press or vise always wants to slide off of it. And Chevy has aluminum shafts, which is cancer. So easy to accidentally press the joint through the c-clip retainer on the other side trying to seat the joint fully.


You're doing it wrong. Get vice jaws open wide enough or use two blocks to rest the 90* out ears on and hit the yoke just behind the cap with a hammer.
I've replaced u-joints on the side of the road with 3 bricks and a pocket knife.


Yeah, I don't know why this method wouldn't work for you dustin.
Ricky Bobby

88 F350, 4x4, 7.3 IDI, ZF5, 92+ front clip swap, Custom Flatbed
83 Bronco, 302, np435, D44, 9", 38's
02 Jetta TDI 5 speed

KD8TYN
"Creative and resourceful, eh, I don't know about that. Too much beer and not enough money if you ask me." --some guy on pirate.
theking380
Rock-Crawler
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Holland, MI

Re: Press works

Postby Yooperyota » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 am

Huh, maybe I'll have to give that a try next time Paul.
"Is there a such thing as a comfortable jeep ride?" - Alan Alda (M*A*S*H)
"All you need is an angle grinder and a dream" - Bilbobaggenz
"Hip Hya" - Dirty Dan
"If a bigger hammer doesn't fix it, it's an electrical problem" - AvE
"I don't see what the big deal is about the LS. I had an LS Monte Carlo, it sucked!" - Alaska
User avatar
Yooperyota
Cub Cadet
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:04 pm
Location: Hancock


Return to Club Tool Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron